Thursday 10 December 2009

Then



 © Horst Osinski

This picture lay hidden in a box for years. It is one of only 4 I have from my grandfathers once vast archive which unfortunately got destroyed after he died. I have very fond memories of him taking me around all those old castles in the Koblenz area where my grandparents lived.  This has always been my favourite of all: Burg Eltz. It's a very special place. For me anyway.
My grandfather was a photographer and we would go walking, taking pictures and afterwards he would take me to the darkroom, where we would spend hours, him always patiently explaining every little step.
I was only 8 or 9 years old and a little later he would forget. He got Altzheimers, and vanished bit for bit.
I framed the picture and put it on my desk. So I won't forget.

No comments: